• For general inquiries, speaking and media requests please contact Rachel LaMar at 760-310-9466 (info@RachelLaMar.com)
• For book launch press release 4/9/2019 click here
• To download author photo please click here
Rachel LaMar has lived in Southern California her entire life. She graduated from UC Irvine with a B.A. in Social Ecology with a specialization in criminal justice, and received a Juris Doctorate from Whittier Law School.
Rachel has been a writer and storyteller since she could put words on paper. She has written several books and articles in local papers and magazines. Bennie Bear’s Dream is her first step into the wonderful world of children’s books.
Adopted at birth, Rachel has always been passionate about adoption. She volunteered for several years with the San Diego Department of Health and Human Services in the Adoptive Parent Program, where she relayed her personal adoption story. Hers was usually the only happy story, as many other speakers had been through the foster care system and experienced tragic childhoods. Rachel hopes that Bennie Bear’s Dream will help shed light on foster care and the all the beautiful children in the system awaiting their forever homes. A portion of sales will be donated to various foster care organizations.
Rachel resides in Carlsbad, CA with her husband, where she is an attorney and owns a boutique residential real estate brokerage. She has an adult son and daughter, canine and rabbit fur children, and enjoys being outdoors and traveling.
"Every child deserves to have a forever home that is full of love. Love helps children to grow and be confident, it inspires them and instills the desire to achieve and persevere and contribute. I am blessed to have been adopted by a wonderful family, and my accomplishments are due to the love and support they provided me throughout my life. There are too many children who do not have a place to call home and a family to love. Like many social issues in this country I believe we can solve this issue with awareness. There are over 100,000 adoptable children in the foster system...together we can change that." - Rachel LaMar
• FWRE episode on EAN Network airs May, 2019. Short book highlight segment.
• Beverly Hills Magazine
• Barnes and Noble, Encinitas CA May 4, 2019. 11 AM Reading and signing
• Warwicks La Jolla, La Jolla CA. May 26, 2019 2-4 PM. Book signing
• Why are foster children incorporated into this book?
- Rachel was adopted at birth, and later in life she volunteered for the San Diego Department of Health and Human Services in their adoption department. She spoke on an adult adoptee panel for a class taken by prospective parents hoping to adopt. Rachel's story was the only happy one, and she realized that so many children who went through foster care system did not have a loving, safe childhood. She wants to bring awareness to foster care and adoption, in the hope of making a difference so children can find their forever homes. Hopefully the presence of foster children in the book will spur family discussions on the topic.
• Where do some of the proceeds go from the sale of the books?
- Rachel has committed to donate a percentage of sales to various adoption and foster care organizations, such as Southern California's Walden Family Services. She hopes that bringing this to the attention of the parents will instill the desire to do more to help foster children.
• What lessons does Bennie Bear's Dream teach children?
- This story teaches children the importance of love and perseverance - it encourages them to follow their dreams and not give up even if others say the dream isn't possible, or in the face of challenges.